Chapel Open July 7th for Sharpsburg 250th

Come visit Tolson’s Chapel, Sunday, July 7th, from 2-4 pm, during the celebration of the Town of Sharpsburg’s 250th anniversary.  Sharpsburg was founded in 1763 by Joseph Chapline, who platted the town into 1/2 acre lots.  From the earliest years, African Americans, both enslaved and free, were a part of Sharpsburg town fabric, laboring on nearby farms, in town homes and businesses.  Tolson’s Chapel was erected in 1866 on the west half of Lot 104, at that time owned by Samuel Craig, a free African American and among the first trustees of the Sharpsburg Colored Methodist Episcopal Church.

Comments are closed.